Thursday, May 7, 2015

Some peas and some inspirations





"My mom is a great cook"...that's how all human being starts off I think...moms can never go wrong with cooking I guess. I think my Ma is a good one...not that she likes cooking a lot. I think she is bored of it since my Dad loves eating and she has been cooking for him for so many years now that she would definitely want some break.
But what makes her a good cook is her intuition...I have never seen her make a bad dish...Its always above average. I think that's what makes her my role model in some ways. Ma makes some mean parathas and kachoris...however, this is one place where she has failed to teach me much. My rotis were always like maps and parathas always got torn and tasted like papad...and I never as much as tried to knead the dough. And then I came to my Hubby's home where I think everybody loved parathas and luchi and kachoris. My mom-in-law always had them on fasts and then the cook being so very insensitive would run off on one such day and I had to start off an adventure in the kitchen making parathas. Thus began a rather not so good not so bad journey.
Now I can make good simple parathas and even rotis at times... :)
Winter is just setting off in Kolkata...and every corner Kachori shop is making great smelling Koraishutir Kochuri..that started making me think (and salivate also)...why not try a stuffed paratha this time. My mom, although she could not make me learn make rotis, taught me some great stuffings...and Peas Kachori happened to be the best of them all...at least my Dad's and my favorite. But Hubby being on the edge of getting cholesterol and me getting chubbier day by day...I got inspired to make a paratha...at least some oil got saved. And it turned out great actually...some of the stuffing came out of the dough...but never mind that...tasty it was!!!
So here's to all my inspirations...to my mom...for her intuition which she taught me...to my dad...for being the greatest encouragement when it came to food...and to my mom-in-law.. for helping me to learn to manage these doughy mess...and most of all to my hubby...for being the patient victim...thanks to all of them

Koraishutir Paratha

Serving: 8 parathas


Ingredients:

Maida:                      3cups (Coffee Mug Size)
Oil:                        3 tbsp + 1tbsp+to fry
Peas:                       2cups
Green Chilly:               6
Ginger Paste:               1 tbsp
Bhaja Masla (recipe below): 2 tbsp
Salt:                       As per taste
Water:                      As required

Bhaja Masla:

Whole Garam Masala: 2 tbsp
Dried red chilly:   10
Whole jeera:        2 tbsp

Dry roast all the ingredients together and dry grind them to a fine powder.

Recipe:

Knead the maida with 3 tbsp oil and some salt and enough water to make some tight dough. Apply some more oil on the dough and keep it aside.

Wet grind the peas, chillys, ginger paste and bhaja Masla to a not so fine paste

Heat 1 tbsp oil in the wok and fry this paste until it gets a greenish brownish colour. Cool the stuffing

Make 8 balls from the dough. Make 8 balls out of the stuffing

Flatten each of the balls to make a paratha. Put a ball of stuffing in the middle and make the dough ball once again. Flatten it again carefully into a thick paratha. Repeat the same steps for the rest of the balls.

Heat a tawa and fry these parathas with little oil.

Serve with pickle or alur dom.


No comments:

Post a Comment